Sunday, January 3, 2010

50's Inspired

My first Email (YEAH!) :

I could use a good tutorial on how to do the 1950's inspired hair and make-up (especially with how they do their liquid liner and how to pick a complimentary red lipstick). Just some ideas! Hope all is well :)

Mac


50's is very in right now. For an updated spin on the 50's as far as make up, I feel all stems from the eyes.
First, you are going to want to pick an eye shadow. You want to pick a light, neutral color, (because most of the 'pop' is going to be the eyeliner). A very matte pink or tan is very classic, but I like some shimmer in the shadow, especially since you are doing just one color. The shimmer gives it a more updated look. If you do a shimmer shadow, I would go with either a light pink or a champagne. You want to apply the shadow from a little above your crease and down to lashes, covering the entire lid. I would then use a bigger brush, and lightly brush up toward the eyebrow, giving a blended clean look. Also, to give the eyes more dimension I like to take a small brush and line just under my bottom lashes. (I do this with every kind of make up style to make my eyes stand out more.)
Next, I would pick a liquid eyeliner in black. The 50's look definatley works best with black. I know liquid liner is scary for some people, you just need to practice. I feel like if you start from the middle and work your way out, most of the liquid is used in the center, and that way you don't have a mess in the corner. This is lame, but its all about the wrist with the liquid liner as you come out to the side. You kind of just want to do a sweep to the side. Not too much, because your not doing a cat eye, just enough of a sweep that it is thicker at the edge of your eye then the center. With the excess liquid from the middle (because of the first application of of the bottle), with the very tip just work towards the inside of your eye as thin as desired. Stay as close to your lashes as possible so you don't have some funky white line looking thing between that and your lashes.
As far as mascara goes, You just need a light coat of black mascara. This look is defiantly about the liner and the clean lid. As with blush, a real light matte pink works best.
Now to the lips. Red is very classic, but lets be honest not everyone can pull off the hot red lips. Everyone is different and knows what shades work for them (pinkish, redish, brownish etc.) I would stick with some sort of red but be practical and pick a red in the tone that works best for you. For an authentic 50's lip, I would defiantly stick with a matte lipstick.





As far as hair goes, 50's trends are definatly in. Take bangs and curls for example. Both, you are seeing everywhere.
The best and easy way to do curls no matter what length of hair is to do an at home 'set'. Depending on your desired curl, pick a curling iron in the size desired and have a thermal styling aid to spray hair with before curling. All professional lines have one. Part off into sections, and as you curl, pin each piece. What I mean by that is after you have curled it, roll it back up into a loop and pin it either with a bobbie pin or they make little shampoo set metal clips to pin it in place. SO when your done, your whole head will like an old lady set. Leave curls in the 'set' for at least 30 minutes, (I usually do close to an hour) and take pins out. Just finger comb out for a 'not too styled' look. You'll have soft, pin curl inspired curls that actually last longer then 10 minutes. To really make it 50's curl the front pieces towards the face.
For a 50's inspired SECOND DAY hair do, just pull into a low side pony tail or messy bun, pin up a few pieces up and you look like you've spent forever doing your hair.

Hopefully this wasn't too complicated and I explained everything well enough. Ha, let me know what you think of this first entry and let me know if you have any questions about this look! I love that people have already started emailing me!!

1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous! I have never pinned my curls up after doing them so I am definitely going to try that now! Thanks for helping keep up hip Katch, you are the best! PS I love my bangs :)

    ReplyDelete